Saturday, January 23, 2010

Disabling proquota.exe in XP Home Edition

Windows is not a normal topic of discussion here, but I struggled to find any information to help me with this problem, so I thought I'd post my solution.

After running combofix to clean up some viruses, proquota.exe was found to be missing from my system32 folder and combofix kindly reinstalled it. Unfortunatly, proquota.exe limits the profile size of user accounts, meaning that you can only store so much (10 MB in my case) on your profile (which includes your Desktop, MyDocuments folders, etc.). As a med student, I have a LOT of documents that I like to store in MyDocuments, so this was unacceptable.

If you have XP Pro or Server2003 you can easily find instructions to disable proquota; however, if you have XP Home, you're more or less hooped.

To disable proquota I had to make the following change to my registry (remember, hacking your registry is ALWAYS risky if you don't know what you are doing):

First, go to Start->run and type in "regedit".

Then in the Registry Editor, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->Policies->System

Finally, double-click on EnableProfileQuota and set it to 0.

Restart your computer, and proquota will not bother you again.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome!!! It worked!!! Thank you sooo much!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! I've been dealing with this for Days!!!

Anonymous said...

great it is still working in march 2013. thanks

Anonymous said...

great it is still working in march 2013. thanks

Anonymous said...

great it is still working in march 2013. thanks

Florence said...



I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!